Prostate Enlargement and Treatments
Prostate enlargement is the most common condition in men above 40 years. It is said that when you do not have prostate enlargement then you have not lived enough. Nowadays cases of younger age prostate enlargement are also diagnosed. The cause or reasons behind the condition are unknown. An enlarged prostate is common and natural when you get older but only a few of us are aware of the exact state of prostate enlargement.
What is a prostate?
It is a small gland present in men and it is located between the penis and urinary bladder. The function of the prostate gland is to secrete a fluid that nourishes sperm. During ejaculation, the prostate is squeezed and the secretion is oozed out along with sperm as semen.
What are the symptoms of prostate enlargement?
- Urine retention in the bladder
- Loss of control in urination.
- Dribbling of urine.
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Difficulty in starting urination
- Slow urinary stream
- Straining while urinating
- Frequent urge to urinate while sleeping
What are the complications of prostate enlargement?
Complications associated with prostate enlargement vary from normal dribbling of urine to chronic urinary incontinence. Urine retention can lead to serious urinary tract infection. Prostate enlargement can also cause problems related to erection and ejaculation. Complications can affect your social well-being since most of the people hesitate to share such conditions with others. Symptoms worsen when you become too old but there are cases reported in younger ages also. Do not wait for the symptoms to worsen too much instead seek medical help as early as possible.
What are the natural remedies?
Natural remedies can help you to fight the symptoms and difficulties associated with prostate enlargement.
- Avoid drinking of alcohol or caffeine before bedtime:
Alcohol and caffeine can stimulate the urge to urinate thereby worsening the symptoms. It will be good if you can avoid drinks two hours before bedtime.
- Double voiding of the urinary bladder :
Voiding urinary bladder just after regular urination can help frequent urge to urinate.
- Bladder training
This involves several methods like creating a timetable for schedules urination.
- Eat fibres to avoid constipation
Constipation can further increase pressure on the urethra and this will worsen the situation.
- Do pelvic strengthening exercise
- Check your regular meditation and avoid drugs like antihistamines and decongestants if possible.
- Keep your external gentile in a clean dry and hygienic condition to avoid severe infection.
- Use napkins or a waterproof bed sheet if you have serious urinary incontinence.
When to consult a doctor?
If you feel you are experiencing some difficulties associated with prostate enlargement then do not wait for anyone, but consult a physician. There are several factors considered as criteria for the treatment for prostate enlargement. Based on these factors doctors prescribe medicines or surgery.
- Age and physic of the patient
- The intensity of the symptoms
- Size of the prostate.
- Alpha blockers: this medicine helps to relax bladder neck muscles thereby reducing the pressure to urinate. It can help to drain your bladder maximum.
- 5-alpha-reductase: this medication works on hormones to prevent imbalance thereby preventing further enlargement of prostate gland.
- Tadalafil: this drug is commonly used to treat erectile dysfunction but it is also used in prostate enlargement treatment.
- Combination of medicine: a combination of drugs is the most effective treatment for prostate enlargement
In some cases where normal medicines fail to cure the condition, a surgical method is usually prescribed along with natural remedies and medicines
- Heating of prostate gland to reduce its pressure on the urethra
- Laser treatment melts the enlarged portion by selective melting of the prostate gland.
- Transurethral needle ablation burns a specific portion of prostate gland using high-frequency radio wave.
- Microwave-mediated shrinking of the enlarged prostate gland.