Treatments for infertility
Nowadays infertility is the most common problem faced by couples. We are all familiar with the term infertility but only a few of us are aware of the condition. It is crucial to understand what infertility is and when you have to seek medical assistance.
What is infertility?
Infertility is a condition at which a couple fails to conceive a baby even after one year of unprotected sexual intercourse. Most of the people get pregnant within one year of trying, but when you fail to conceive a baby within one year, consulting a doctor is the best thing you can do. Almost 85% of patients can conceive with 6 months of treatment. Infertility can affect both the partners. There are various diagnosing techniques and treatment for both genders. A rapid increase in infertility at the present scenario is mainly associated with the change in the lifestyle. Food habits and hereditary factors can also contribute to infertility.
What are the reasons behind infertility?
Male infertility can be due to
- Low sperm count: low sperm count or less motile sperm can cause infertility. A sperm count below 15 million is considered as low sperm count. If the structure or motility is not proper, sperm fails to reach ovum for fertilization.
- Overheated testicles: keeping the scrotum temperature less than the body temperature is necessary for the proper functioning of testicles.
- Undescended testicles: this is usually solved by surgery in the childhood itself.
- Erectile dysfunction: improper erection can trouble the insertion of the penis into the vagina.
- Ejaculation disorders: if semen is blocked in the ejaculatory ducts, the sperm will not get released from the penis at the time of sexual intercourse.
- Varicocele: it is a medical condition where scrotum is affected by varicose vein.
- Mumps: if the infections have occurred after puberty it may lead to the inflammation of testicles.
Female infertility is due to
- PCOD: Poly Cystic Ovary Disorder affects the normal production of the ovum by ovaries.
- Irregular periods: when the menstrual cycle is irregular we fail to predict the day of ovulation. Ovulation time is the only probable time of conceiving a baby.
- Uterine fibroid: fibroid growth in the uterus can stop the implantation of the fertilized egg on the placenta.
- Poor egg quality: if the produced ovum is not up to the quality, it will not develop into a zygote.
Causes affecting both the genders:
- Alcohol consumption
- Hormonal imbalance
- Lack of exercise
- Enormous stress
- Age: men above the age 40 and for women above 35 shows infertility than the younger age group.
Remedies to cure infertility
Infertility caused by the lifestyle is cured by avoiding the risk factor. Eating healthy food is mandatory for the proper functioning of the reproductive system
Dos and Don’ts
- Do exercise on a regular basis to enhance your health. Physical and mental wellness of parents contributes to the wellness of the newborn.
- Do not consume alcohol and do not smoke.
- Do balance your BMI
- Do not wear black and tight inner wears. This helps to reduce the temperature of the scrotum in men.
- Do meditation or engage in tasks that make you happy to avoid stress.
- Do balance your diet to avoid hormonal imbalance.
- Do sex more frequently during ovulation
Treatments for infertility
- Medication for hormonal imbalance
- Treat problems related to irregular menstrual cycle.
- Surgery to remove varicocele.
- Surgical removal of uterine fibroid.
- Clearing fallopian tube if it is blocked
There are certain cases where no common treatments work and the causes are unknown. Doctors recommend ART (Artificial Reproductive Technologies) in such cases. ART is the surgical procedure assisted by most modern techniques available. It is commonly prescribed for people with low sperm count or when the uterus is too weak for implantation. ART is preferred when the cause is unknown. There are various techniques
- Intra Uterine Insemination: sperm is injected into the womb during the ovulation. This is preferred for men with erectile dysfunction or low sperm count.
- In Vitro Fertilization (IVF): fertilization is carried out in vitro by collecting sperm and egg from the parents. Then the zygote is transferred to the uterus.
- Intra Cytoplasmic Sperm Injection (ICSF): A single sperm is isolated and injected to the egg in a lab.
- Stimulation of ejaculation: giving electric or vibratory stimulation to men who cannot ejaculate normally.
- Assisted hatching: this method is used when the embryo fails to implant properly on the uterine wall. After IVF doctors break the outer covering of the embryo to help implantation.